Food Waste Reduction and Management Webinar Series
In an effort to reduce the generation and disposal of commercial and institutional food waste, New York and New Jersey independently coordinated a series of regional forums in 2008 and 2009 to bring generators and managers of food waste together to learn how to better reduce and manage their food wastes and to share their experiences. Building upon these efforts, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 2, and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation have partnered with the Solid Waste Resource Renewal Group at the Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station to offer this webinar series designed to provide tips and tools for institutional and commercial food waste generators. This five part series will include topics such as an introduction to food waste and the climate change connection, how to conduct a waste audit, separation and collection of food waste, food donation, composting and anaerobic digestion, and EPA’s tools for waste reduction and food waste management. We look forward to your participation in this webinar series.
Registrants will be sent further information about how to login to each webinar before the webinar's start date.
All webinar offerings are FREE.
The following webinars will be offered (ALL WEBINAR OFFERINGS ARE BEING HELD EASTERN TIME):
1) February 23 - Overview of Food Waste (COMPLETED)
• Why is food waste management an issue? - Priscilla E. Hayes, Esq, Rutgers NJAES
• Food waste/climate change connection and EPA’s WARM - Priscilla Hayes/Jennifer Brady (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery)
• Waste Audit - Priscilla Hayes
2) March 10 - Separation and Collection of Food Waste (COMPLETED)
• Institutional Food Waste: Collection, Containers and Costs - Mike Manna (Organic Recycling Solutions, LLC.)
• Collection in an Urban Setting: NYC - Chris Balfe
• New Opportunities for Diverting Food Scraps and Soiled Paper - Peter Anderson (Center for a Competitive Waste Industry)
3) March 17 - Waste Reduction (COMPLETED)
• On-line Exchanges - Norm Ruttan (iwastenot systems)
• Food Donation - Migdalia Otero (Island Harvest)
• Experiences of a Pig Farmer - John Caffrey
• Procurement of Compostable Products - Priscilla Hayes
4) March 31 - Composting and End-of-life Management of Food Waste (COMPLETED)
• On-farm composting - Bob Rynk (SUNY Cobelskill)
• In-Vessel Compost System Review - Bob Spencer (Environmental Planning Consultant)
• Digesters - Tom Lawson (Northeast Biogas)
5) April 7 - Making Composting Happen - Putting Together the Pieces (COMPLETED)
• How to build a successful organics diversion program - Nora Goldstein (BioCycle)
• Making the Leap to Composting Food Waste - Steven Sherman (Cascadia Consulting Group, Inc.)
• EPA Tools for Food Waste Management - Jennifer Brady
Please register for each individual webinar offering using the links below.